Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Fasting & Prayer - Day 8 - The Secret of His Power


The Secret of His Power - This is today's theme.

I had been fasting - a total fast - and my energy was spent.  My employment demanded all my mental focus and physical energy - and that was now gone.  Totally used up.  In fact, a headache was just dancing in the background.


The disciples considered the secret of Jesus' power to be the time He spent in prayer.  Hm....  I knew this.  Would it work for me?  That's the point, really, of a total fast.  Will I really desire Jesus more than my daily bread?  Will I really turn to Him, lean fully on Him?  Too tired really, to argue the point, I found a place of solitude and began to pray.  Well, this was more of an 'exhaling' than a prayer.

My foggy thoughts began to coalesce, and slowly I was reminded of the discipline of praise.  Tiredly obedient, I began to formulate in my mind thoughts of praise.  Slowly, tremulously at first, they began to pick up steam.

Praise You Father, for this day, for another day of life and health, for the opportunity to fast, for a place of employment, for the moment of sunshine I experienced....  Simple blessings...

My mind seemed to become more firm.

I praise You Father, for the discipline of praise - that You have not left me defenseless on this earth...

My entire being began to join itself, to warm to the subject.  Lifting my face and resting my head against the wall, I imagined being in the very presence of God, how the light would fill my face like the warmest sunshine.

You are worthy of all praise, You alone are worthy.  Worthy, worthy is the Lamb that was slain from the foundation of the world.  Every knee will bow before Your throne and confess that You are King.  Above the distractions of the earth You sit enthroned.  And from Your calm eternity You order that which Your Divine Providence deems best.1  And it is perfect.  You are a perfect God who has a perfect plan for all You do is perfect...

I began to warm to my subject.  The Holy Spirit began bringing to my thoughts scripture and quotations long-ago memorized.  Joyfully, I found myself dwelling on the perfection of God and how a perfect God cannot make a mistake and suddenly I had energy!  I had energy to SPARE!  I serve a risen Saviour, whatever men may say - I SEE HIS HAND of MERCY, I hear HIS voice of CHEER!  And just the time I need Him, He's ALWAYS near!  He LIVES! He LIVES!  Christ Jesus lives today!  HE walks with me and talks with ME along life's narrow way.  He lives, He lives, salvation to impart!  You ask me how I know He lives?  Let me tell you - He brought me back from the miry pit, He set my feet on solid ground, He lifted me above the waves - I KNOW my JESUS LIVES!

Hallelujah!

--------------------------
1  I was given this quote, taken from the book Ministry of Healing, p. 417 by Pastor John Clarkson in the early 2000's.  I have carried it in my wallet since then and referenced it many times with great appreciation.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments will be viewable upon approval. Thanks!