Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Problems at Church?

For some reason, it seems there are occasions when we church-goers are confronted with problems at church that interfere with our capacity to receive God's blessing during our all-to-brief time in the sanctuary. 
Here's a very short list of things I've either experienced myself or had those close to me experience.  I'm sure you will get the idea - so we'll just keep it short so as not to give the evil one any more credit...

  • Deacons are just incompetent
  • Music.  Too many drums.  Not enough drums.  Too much percussion.  Not enough percussion.  Too much organ.  Not enough organ.  Words too repetitive.  Words too boring.
  • Story-teller clearly has no ability or walk with God
  • Pastor - oh don't get me started.  Worst shepherd I've ever heard tell of...
  • That woman!  Can you believe....?
Those are deliberate over statements - but I think you can probably relate to some degree.  Now - I know such behavior and the encouraging of such behavior is wrong.  You probably do as well.  But again, we want the WORD to convict us right?  'Cause Jesus is the only One who can change me.  I'm so clear on that - I cannot overstate it.  Consequently it was with shock - and definite appreciation that I landed on the following study.  

For this study - we'll exercise the 'law of first occurrence' and some in-depth word analysis. 

Dear Jesus - We are not perfect people which makes us SO glad You are our Perfect Redeemer, Lover and Friend.  In the gentle, tender way You work - show us the application You have for each of us in this study.

What is the primary reason we go to church?  To worship.  So let's see where the first occurrence of the word 'worship' in the Bible takes us.  The 'law of first occurrence' sets the stage for the usage of the word throughout the rest of the Bible.  So perhaps we can get a sense of the importance of the concept of 'worship'?  Think so?  I'm going to use the old king (KJV) because, well - it's the 3rd Tuesday of the 4th month??  (seriously - I flip back and forth, not a lot of premeditation here)  Here we go....

And just like that - here we are!

Genesis 22:5


King James Version (KJV)
And Abraham said unto his young men, Abide ye here with the ass; and I and the lad will go yonder and worship, and come again to you.

Context?  Let's just add the immediately preceding verses in the chapter - since our verse is only verse 5 after all.

Genesis 22


King James Version (KJV)

22 And it came to pass after these things, that God did tempt Abraham, and said unto him, Abraham: and he said, Behold, here I am.
And he said, Take now thy son, thine only son Isaac, whom thou lovest, and get thee into the land of Moriah; and offer him there for a burnt offering upon one of the mountains which I will tell thee of.
And Abraham rose up early in the morning, and saddled his ass, and took two of his young men with him, and Isaac his son, and clave the wood for the burnt offering, and rose up, and went unto the place of which God had told him.
Then on the third day Abraham lifted up his eyes, and saw the place afar off.
And Abraham said unto his young men, Abide ye here with the ass; and I and the lad will go yonder and worship, and come again to you.

Hmmm...  Shall we go deeeeeep or shall we go quick?   Somewhere in between I think...  Let's consider the key elements of the story that precedes this verse.  Since I'm the one typing - well, here's my list.  I'll share... :-)

  • Isaac was the son of promise. 
  • He was the long-waited for child of two doting parents who loved him more than their own lives
  • Despite Abraham's love - which even God acknowledged - Abraham was willing to obey God. 
  • Abraham was willing to put his ALL - the most tender part of his heart on that alter
  • In fact, as a burnt offering would require, Abraham was willing to skin, dismember, clean out the entrails, discard the required bits, and so complete his sacrifice.  The 'burnt offering' phrase is our word search exercise in this.  You check it out - probably more graphic than I've portrayed here.
Whoa.  I gotta stop.  You see, I've got one of those.  A tender place in my heart.  He's five.  Adorable.  Giant blue eyes, slightly reddish blond hair.  A perfect child to me.  Gentle in disposition.  Smart.  His father and I love him more than our own lives.  Ooooo - this is getting personal.  Do I love my child more than God?  I can see for me there is a dual application here.  Because the other question I must ask myself is:  every Sabbath when I enter my church building, do I lay the tenderest part of my heart on the altar as I prepare to worship the Supreme Lover and Creator of my world?  When I take that tender oh-so-fragile part of me and lay it on the altar as I sit in my pew - I will tell you the truth.  No crazy pastor, wacky story teller, messed up deacon, that kid's drums and his guitar - NOTHING gets between me and my Jesus.  Not even the good stuff - the stuff I think I approve.  'Cause it just took every fiber of my being to do what I just did.  And I've gotta sit here.  I've gotta focus on what He's doing with my heart - it is oh so easily broken - I can't put my eyes on lesser things...

What or who is your Isaac?  I bet if you introduced me, I would see all the passion of your life wrapped in that beautiful package.  As well as the goodness of God.  

You see - the next occurrence of 'worship'?  Exodus 24:1.  Remember the post about the law?  How our amazing God came down and ate with the sinner Moses and the way sinning 70 elders on Mt. Sinai?  They saw His throne and from the blue sapphire He cut the tables of stone upon which He engraved His law of love. 

Concerned about the phrase 'God tempted Abraham'?  No worries...  Study it out.  God doesn't tempt us to sin.  He does, however:  to test, try, prove, tempt, assay, put to the proof or test...

He's a promise keeper - our God.  He seeks us out.  He wants to live with us.   And our part?  To give Him our most precious parts so nothing comes between us.  That way - He can take them and make them the most beautiful gifts in the world and ensure they are kept eternally for us.

Thank You Jesus.  Again, as I did when I learned I was pregnant, I give You my son.  He is Yours for now, and for always. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments will be viewable upon approval. Thanks!