Thursday, April 18, 2013

Fruit or Fruits?

Dear Jesus - I praise You for the quality of life You long to give each of us.  Help us to really understand that truth in the deepest parts of our soul...

Galatians 5:22-23

New American Standard Bible (NASB)
22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law.

Have you ever noticed that verse 22 says 'fruit' not 'fruits'? 
Is this important or meaningful?  Let's look at the broader context of this verse:

Galatians 5:19-25

New American Standard Bible (NASB)
19 Now the deeds of the flesh are evident, which are: immorality, impurity, sensuality, 20 idolatry, sorcery, enmities, strife, jealousy, outbursts of anger, disputes, dissensions, factions, 21 envying, drunkenness, carousing, and things like these, of which I forewarn you, just as I have forewarned you, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God. 22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law. 24 Now those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires.

25 If we live by the Spirit, let us also walk by the Spirit.

Personal Dimension
Beautiful to consider is the thought that even in this passage, Jesus is gentle to point out the possibility I may not have ALL the nasty list of the deeds of the flesh.  He's much more gentle with me than I am to myself.  Frequently the list in entirety seems a replication of my life.

Contrasted with the deeds of the flesh is the generous list of the fruit of the Spirit.  And in the phrasing of this list, I am struck with the promise implied that I am offered them all!  Not one piece of fruit - individually.  No - the entire platter with all of the variety present.  As I allow - through my submission of my desires to His desires - Jesus to be full Master of my domain, the fruit is mine!  He isn't stingy.  He doesn't say submit to Me and for the first 30 days you will display a bit of love - but no joy.  Not yet.  Joy doesn't come until day 75.  No indeed.

Come unto Me, all of you who work to exhaustion, and I will give you rest!  You will be eating from My table and it is sweet!  I will give you the capacity at once to produce it.   The fruit you can produce today?  It will only increase in size, beauty, and yumminess over time.  Thank You Jesus!  What a Saviour You are!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments will be viewable upon approval. Thanks!