Saturday, March 8, 2014

The Name (above all names) or the Word?

Dear Jesus - I praise You for Your tender communication that is individual, unique and specific to each of our needs...

2:12 a.m.  I had been awakened from some particularly sweet and peaceful sleep and felt particularly rested.  Hm...  Unusual.

2:30 a.m.  Thoughts have coalesced in my brain over the last 30 minutes and I realize Jesus is calling me to spend some personal time with Him.

You've been around this blog long enough to realize there is no simple realization that happens in my head.  This is no exception.  I purpose to do it.  Then I freak out thinking about not getting enough sleep for the day ahead.  My brain flits back to purposing to spend time with Jesus and I ask Him to help me do it.  I begin to praise in my mind...
2:43 a.m.  I've gotten up and gone downstairs to the computer where I will not disturb anyone.  Prayer is sweet and beautiful - heavily weighted towards praise.  Up from my knees and at the computer, I decide the Spirit nudges me to Psalms 138 in the blueletterbible.org.

Psalm 138 (KJV)
I will praise thee with my whole heart: before the gods will I sing praise unto thee.

2 I will worship toward thy holy temple, and praise thy name for thy lovingkindness and for thy truth: for thou hast magnified thy word above all thy name.

3 In the day when I cried thou answeredst me, and strengthenedst me with strength in my soul.

4 All the kings of the earth shall praise thee, O Lord, when they hear the words of thy mouth.

5 Yea, they shall sing in the ways of the Lord: for great is the glory of the Lord.

6 Though the Lord be high, yet hath he respect unto the lowly: but the proud he knoweth afar off.

7 Though I walk in the midst of trouble, thou wilt revive me: thou shalt stretch forth thine hand against the wrath of mine enemies, and thy right hand shall save me.

8 The Lord will perfect that which concerneth me: thy mercy, O Lord, endureth for ever: forsake not the works of thine own hands.

Hallelujah!  It is beautiful!  Time is nothing.  I step through all the study tools for verse 1 and am blown away.

'with my whole heart' - the mind, the emotions - all that was David, all that I am is praising...

'before the gods' - Eloyhim!  Before the heavenly hosts, the universe, the triune God - that is who David (and I) am praising before!

I revel in the verse.  Slowly I move on to verse 2.  Suddenly - something grabs me.  I check out the verse in multiple versions.  I do a word study.  It is pretty clear:

God's Word.  The WORD.  The WORD made flesh and dwelt among us, EMMANUEL.  The WORD - Jesus.  The WORD is to be magnified even above the attributes of God's NAME!  I am struck dumb.  I can go no farther.  The beauty of God's name is indescribable.  The literal benefits to me daily of His character are limitless.  And yet - above all this - the WORD is magnified.  Wow.  The implications cause my mind to reel.  Eloyhim, the Godhead, are THAT concerned with communing with humans!  With me!

3:53 a.m.  I go back to bed.  In awe.  Full of praise.  "God," I say, "You are responsible for my sleep - and good luck getting me back to sleep after this excitement!"  Sure enough, next thing I know the alarm goes off and it is time for my devotions...  But they cannot compare with the sweetness of when Jesus comes to visit...

Thank You Jesus.  Please grow me more in tune with Your heart of connection...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments will be viewable upon approval. Thanks!