Saturday, May 4, 2013

Context, Context, Context - and John 14:1-6

Dear Jesus - Thank You for Your amazing WORD...

Perhaps I have mentioned this before?  Since June of last year, I have an amazing prayer partner.  We meet on the phone on M / W / F of each week.  First, we discuss our Bible reading for the day.  We are both on the same reading plan.  Then we move into prayer.  Total time?  About 30 minutes.  Experience?  Priceless.

Anyway - we got to discussing John 14:1-3 yesterday.  Once again the value of context popped up.  Below is the expanded text in the NASB which provides a more literal translation.  Consider the question:  Where is Jesus going?

John 14:1-6 (NASB)

Jesus Comforts His Disciples

14 Do not let your heart be troubled; believe in God, believe also in Me. 2 In My Father’s house are many dwelling places; if it were not so, I would have told you; for I go to prepare a place for you. 3 If I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to Myself, that where I am, there you may be also. 4 And you know the way where I am going.” 5 Thomas said to Him, “Lord, we do not know where You are going, how do we know the way?” 6 Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but through Me.
The question can be answered in a couple of ways - but the context is key and must always provide the initial answer to completely determine the literal reading.  John 14 follows John 13 - which of course is no surprise.  However - what is IN John 13?  Ah...  Jesus is heading to the cross.  In fact, this conversation is occurring on the night of his betrayal. 
Verse 2 - 'I go to prepare a place for you.' Now gives us the glimpse that the 'cross' is the preparation.  But what is meant by the 'cross'?  Everything.  The sacrifice.  The betrayal or offering of the sacrifice.  Each moment leading to the 'It is finished' climax.  The resurrection conclusion.
Each of those steps are seen in the ancient system setup in Moses' time in the wilderness with the people of Israel.  However - the sanctuary system of Moses' time did not end with the sacrifice of the lamb. Praise God!  
Here we see a beautiful example of the dimensionality of the Bible.  The literal reading is amazing.
The 'me' dimension - what Jesus did for me personally - is amazing.  Knowing Jesus would have died for just me had that been the situation.  He died for my temper, for my impatience, for my meanness - the list goes on.  What about you?
The 'Jesus' dimension - what a Savior He is defies my imagination and knowledge at times like this. 
The 'church' dimension - the work Jesus is performing on behalf of His people collective can also be seen.   We have but to look at the rest of the sanctuary service Moses laid out.  The day of atonement - the day of at one-ment.  What a beautiful service!
The 'heavenly' dimension - In the sanctuary service, we also get a picture of what will happen as the great war between Satan and God concludes.  For how does the Atonement service end?  The sin goes away F.O.R.E.V.E.R.  God's people are cleansed, pure, free, happy - living with Him once again in their midst. 
Thank You Jesus.  Thank You for being willing.  Thank You God for Your perfection.  Thank You Spirit for Your wooing us to Yourselves.  There is no God like our God...  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments will be viewable upon approval. Thanks!