Friday, May 17, 2013

Bible Study Prep - The Basics

The fog in my head is Zyrtec-induced because I think I may in fact - after escaping all these years - have a sort of Springtime allergy.  This got me to thinking perhaps I should post a sort of primer about preparing for Bible study.  Let's see what the Bible says...

1 Corinthians 2:14 (NIV)

14 The person without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God but considers them foolishness, and cannot understand them because they are discerned only through the Spirit.
 
  1. I'm a person that needs the Spirit - what about you?  While I want to go to prayer first before I study - within my prayer time I want to confess my need of the Spirit.  Asking the Spirit to show me if anything else may need confessing so there is a clear communication line between us.
  2. Ask the Spirit to give us the gift of spiritual discernment as we study the WORD which is Jesus Himself.  Below is the usage for the word used above as 'discerned':

To examine or judge
a) to investigate, examine, enquire into, scrutinise, sift, question

1) specifically in a forensic sense of a judge to hold an investigation

2) to interrogate, examine the accused or witnesses

b) to judge of, estimate, determine (the excellence or defects of any person or thing

That's it!  For best results though - I'd add these items next:
  1. Study as far away from a meal as possible - your brain will be sharpest
  2. Journal your findings
  3. Spend as much time as possible in prayer before getting your dig on.  You will be a.m.a.z.e.d. at what the Spirit sends your way.
  4. SHARE, SHARE, SHARE.  Basic law.  The more you share, the greater capacity you are given to receive.  (examples: family members, kids, spouse, co-workers, prayer partners, Facebook, twitter, etc...) 

Bible 101 - there you have it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments will be viewable upon approval. Thanks!